Sunday, June 30, 2013

Silence is Golden?

I was doing some dishes and had some music playing. I had to leave the room for a minute and took my phone with me so the music stopped while the bluetooth went out of range. Arriving back in the kitchen I went back to the dishes and thought to myself, "I should really turn that back on." But I didn't. There was lots of silence. Birds in the distance. Cars went by. Silence. And I was ok with that.

As a young person (I guess I am still young by many peoples' standards) I couldn't be without music playing somewhere. Perpetual tunes. I had a beat up Sony Walkman that was a constant companion. That first CD player got used. A lot.

Now as I get a little older I'm finding myself listening to music less. Is music something less interesting to me now? I don't think that's the case. Are the music choices out there less to my liking? There seems to be plenty of items starred in my Spotify account.

Maybe with age silence is more precious. Probably more so as a parent. The part that frightened me a bit was that I don't miss the constant music. Am I becoming less musical? I don't think so. More focused, perhaps. I think 4'33" makes more sense to me these days.