Monday, February 25, 2013

New Tricks For Today's Musician

I was practicing mandolin tonight and after going through a few pages in the lesson book I kept running into duets. I've been skipping them so far. I'm all by myself and don't know any other players right now (though there's some really good ones around New Ulm). What good is it to play a duet by yourself?

Then came the facepalm moment: I have technology! The music app I use on the iPad for all my sheet music has a simple recorder on it. So I figured I'd give it a try. Sure thing, works well enough!

I can't believe the tools we have at our disposal today. Recording used to be expensive and difficult. Now every device has a high quality microphone and digital recording capabilities that only used to be available to professionals.

So now I'm not going to skip the duets. I'll be accompanying myself.